Underground Pass (quest)
|Starting Point||Speak to King Lathas.|
|Skill Requirements||25 Ranged, good Thieving and Agility(optional), able to beat three level 91 demons.|
|Items Required||Bow, arrows, Spade, Rope (maybe two if you want to save a tiny bit of time), armor, weapon, and food. (Note: you might want to take a bow and arrows that you do not mind dropping. After certain points you will not need them again, and inventory space can get pretty low).|
|Rewards||3000 Agility Xp, 3000 Attack Xp, Staff of Iban, 15 Death runes, 30 Fire runes, the right to use Iban Blast and access to the Underground Pass, 5QP.|
|Quest Unlocked/Partially Unlocked||Legends' Quest, Regicide.|
 How To Start The Quest
To start, talk to King Lathas who is on the second floor of the Paladin Castle in Ardougne. He describes the quest and directs you to his scout in West Ardougne.
- Step One: Head to West Ardougne, walk through the gates and go as far west as you can go and you should find Koftik; talk to him and then enter the cave near him.
- Step Two: Now, here there are 2 choices. If you brought 2 ropes, you can use one rope on one of the stalactites, or you can use Agility to climb over the rocks. I recommend climbing the rock slides.
- Step Three: On the other side of swamp you meet Koftik again, talk to him and you get a damp cloth. Use it on the arrows you brought to get a fire arrow. Talk to him again to get another damp cloth and wrap it around the other arrows. Repeat until you have about 10 fire arrows. Use these arrows on the fire nearby to set them alight.
- Step Four: Now, go around the cliff to the east and then go north. You should be behind a fence, try shooting at the guide ropes that hold the bridge up. When you hit it you are automatically taken across it. Positioning is critical when shooting at ropes: you should be at fence in center of the length of the fence.
- Step Five: Now head north and pick up the plank that is guarded by blessed spiders then head south and follow the path which curves around to the east.
- Step Six: At a split in the path, the south side is a swamp and the north side is a gap, use your rope on the old spike on the other side of the the gap to get across. Follow the path east and then south, climbing over a rock slide in a small alley. In the next area, climb west over another rock slide.
NOTE: If you fail this obstacle, you will lose your rope and find yourself thrown into the "washout" dungeon. The sole path out of the "washout" dungeon forces you to cross numerous rock slides, and then dumps you at the entrance to the underground path. At the very least, you will need another rope, since you lost yours on this obstacle.
- Step Seven: Now you should find Koftik, talk to him and you will find that he is slowly being possessed.
- Step Eight: Here is the grid area. The safe path to cross the grid is different for each player, so experimentation is required to find the successful path which can be used for all future crossings. What worked for someone else may not work for you. The illustration here is just an example and will not work for everyone!! Write down your successful path as it will stay the same for you every time you come here. Every time you hit a bad square, you will fall through to the rocks below and take damage. If you fall, climb back up on the protruding rocks or you will continue to receive hits.
The trial-and-error method to find a way across is... >Find the block you can stand on in the first row. >Then try path 2 (straight across). >If that doesn't work, position yourself in the closest corner of your working square exactly diagonal to the square you want to go to (each grid square is composed of four Runescape walking squares. If you don't get into the corner first, when you click on a diagonal square the game will walk you through a square that you already know doesn't work, and you'll be on the rocks again!) Then click on the diagonal square you wish to try (path 1 or 3). Once you find one of those that work (path 3 in the illustrated example), try again path 2 (straight), 1, or 3.
Continue this process until you find a safe path across.
- Step Nine: Once across, pull the lever next to the portcullis. It will open and automatically take you through. There are zombies and a furnace in this area. To the north-northwest is a one-way shortcut pipe that takes you back to before the rope-swing gap; you cannot use it to get back here. The west alley contains five spike traps; either run through if you are not very good at thieving, or try to search the odd markings and disarm the traps.
- Step Ten: After the traps, there is a room with a well in the middle, as well as an old journal spawn and an altar. If you turn on prayers such as 2x hp restore and others, and keep recharging your prayer here, you can return to full health while conserving your food for later efforts. The first part is quite easy, go up the north road and notice there are flat rocks on the floor. Use the plank on the flat rocks to cross until you get to the orb of light, pick it up then return to the well.
- Step Eleven: Run across the northwest path trying not to get hit by the enemies, pick up the orb of light and return to the well.
- Step Twelve: The west path is the same as the north path, just use your plank on the flat rocks, pick up the orb of light and return to the well.
- Step Thirteen: This is the easiest path, the southwest path. Search the flat stone under the orb, when you try to pick up the orb of light it will ask you if you want to disarm it. If you fail you will be damaged by a swinging log. When you have the orb return back to the well.
- Step Fourteen: Now either run back across the path with the strange markings or search the odd markings and disarm the traps to return to the room with the zombies. Use all the orbs with the furnace and then go back to the room with the well by either disarming the traps or running.
- Step Fifteen: Climb down the well and search the crates nearby, one will contain some food. Now run across the path to get to some cages, pick lock the cage to the southeast. Use the spade on the mud to get through a tunnel.
- Step Sixteen: Head west and then cross the ledge south to get to another hard part. If you are a level 50+ thief then pick lock the gate and run east through the swamp past the rats to the other gate. Or, if you are a bad thief, then you need to cross the stone bridges to get to the other end. Falling off the stone bridges causes damage, and then you must follow a clear path back to the beginning of the stone bridges to try again. However, if you take the gate path and get stuck in the swamp and pulled under, you are thrown into the "washout" dungeon mentioned in Step 7. That's right, you are suddenly starting over, outside the Underground Pass! This might be a good time to bank to replace all the food you spent on the grid, since you'll know the correct path to follow this time.
- Step Seventeen: Follow the path south and go through the obstacle pipe.
- Step Eighteen: Search the Unicorn Cage for a railing. Go around to where the boulder is.
- Step Nineteen: Use the Railing Pipe to move the boulder. Go back to the unicorn cage and search it for the unicorn horn.
- Step Twenty: Now enter the tunnel nearby.
- Step Twenty-One : Continue down the path past Zombies.
- Step Twenty-Two: Talk to Carl the Paladin or Sir Jerro, he gives you food and a prayer potion. Then slaughter all three of the paladins to get the three Paladin badges (red, green and blue).
- Step Twenty-Three: Continue down the path and use the Plank on the flat rock to disarm it.
- Step Twenty-Four: Use the unicorn horn and Crests on the well type thing and go through the door. (Note this is the well you use your Iban Staff on to recharge it once you have finished the quest and have used all the charges).
- Step Twenty-Five: You are on the 2nd level of the Underground Pass dungeon (see map). Travel *all* the way down the east wall to the south entrance/exit that leads to the HUGE third main cavern. The dwarves live in a small area of huts near this entrance; talk to them. One will give you food; talk to him and he will mention a witch that knows Iban's secrets. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS YOU CAN'T PICK UP THE CAT! Now return to the 2nd level of the dungeon. Go east to the wall, and then head north until you get to a narrow bridge. Cross it and go to the hut to the south. [If you fail any of the bridge agility obstacles, you will fall into the center of the huge third cavern that you have already visited; just head back to the 2nd level again.] Don't enter or you will get hurt; just search the window and learn that the witch is looking for her cat. To find it, follow this pattern: north, west, north, west, north until you find the cat and pick it up. Return to her hut and use the cat on the door [you will automatically hide while she answers the door]; while she is playing with the cat, enter and search the chest near the door. You will find the Iban doll, an old journal, a stat restore potion and a super attack potion.
- Step Twenty-Six: From the witch's house, go north, west, and then south to the three demons (see map). Kill them and get their Amulets. Open the nearby Chest and get the Iban's shadow. Smear it on the Doll.
- Step Twenty-Seven: When you go back to dwarves (or if you fall you're at the dwarves), you should end in a HUGE open area. Go to the southwest for some Dwarves. After you've got the Witch's items, talk to all the dwarfs, Klank will give you Klank's Gauntlets and a Tinderbox. Take the Bucket. Empty the single indoor barrel in the house for Dwarf Brew. You can also get unlimited food from the drunken dwarf near Klank.
- Step Twenty-Eight: Go to the southeast part of this cavern to Iban's Tomb. Don't search it or you will take damage. Use the Dwarf brew on it and set it on fire with a Tinderbox. Take Iban's ashes and smear it on the Doll. You can now drop your Tinderbox and the Bucket.
- Step Twenty-Nine: Go northeast into a canyon of spiders. At the north end of this area kill the HUGE spider (level 89). The blood automatically gets smeared on the Doll.
- Step Thirty: There is another set of stairs to the west of the spiders; these stairs will take you directly to the Soulless cage area for the next step.
- Step Thirty-One: Go all the way northwest of the Maze. Wear Klank's Gauntlets, and Search Cages. The Soulless will bite you, but will fail because you're wearing nice Gauntlets. =) The cage that contains Iban's dove is very hard to find but keep at it and you should find it. Use Iban's dove with the Doll and you now have a Doll that is ready for the Final Battle
NOTE: when looking for Iban's dove, remember to look in both parts there are two parts with cages one northwestern (in the corner) and another a little more south from there...
- Step Thirty-Two: Now get ready for the Final Battle. Head to the middle of the maze, kill some Iban Disciples for Zamorak Robes, wear them, and go inside. Before entering the temple, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 3 EMPTY INVENTORY SLOTS or you will lose part of your reward (the Iban Staff, Death runes and Fire runes) since you are immediately teleported out of the room. In order to enter the temple you cannot have anything in your weapon inventory except for the Robe of Zamorak. If you need food Klank will sell some to you.
- Step Thirty-Three: Iban will see you have the only weapon to destroy him, the complete Doll. He will blast spells (which looks like monster legs coming up from the floor) at you, so either dodge them or use the "protect from melee" prayer.
- Step Thirty-Four: Run towards him, hopefully dodging the shots, and throw the Doll into the Well. Iban will die. Stay there it will take a little while for blasts to stop after you successfully throw Doll in well.
- Step Thirty-Five: You will be transported to an underground area (this is why you need those empty spots in your inventory: you will not have time to eat and will miss your reward if you don't have empty spots!) Talk to the helper again and he'll take you outside.
- Step Thirty-Six: Go back to King Lathas and report that Iban is dead. You can keep Klank's Gauntlets.
 Quest Complete!
- Five Quest Points.
- 3,000 Agility and Attack XP
- Iban Staff
Related ThreadsThose who have done the "Undeground Pass Quest", PLEASE READ NOW!!!!!! - last post by @ Aug 9, 2006
underground pass - last post by @ Dec 25, 2006
Underground pass - last post by @ Jul 19, 2006
General Discussion I: Bats In The Underground Pass - last post by @ Nov 3, 2004
under ground pass quest help - last post by @ Jul 22, 2006
This page has been accessed 1,901 times.